Wednesday, March 31, 2010

WTF Wednesday - It Puts The Lotion In The Basket

Thanks to everyone who supported me through my trauma yesterday...

I'm feeling much better today! And the dryer is still working, so you know, WIN.

My buddy Nova thinks it might have been all the Sudafed I downed over the weekend, combined with the thyroid meds I take daily.

Whatever it was, I'm glad it's gone!

So Easter is this Sunday, and we have some plans to celebrate with The Kid's Colorado grampa et al. There will be ham! Egg decorating! Wizard of Oz on Blu-ray!

And lamb cake, courtesy of me.

"What's a lamb cake?" those of you not from Chicago are asking.

It's truly one of the things that sticks out most as a difference between Chicago and Smalltownsville, Colorado (besides the lack of bakeries in general that don't involve grocery stores).

Nobody knows what a lamb cake is!

It makes sense I suppose, I don't even know if they're all that popular in southern Chicagoland, since they're really an eastern European tradition, and most of the Polish/Russian population in Chicago lives on the north side.

A lamb cake is exactly what it sounds like, a cake in the shape of a lamb, only it's sitting up and decorated in coconut and jelly beans and such.


Nike?

Isn't it cute?

And my mother bought me a lamb cake mold. I am SO making one.

Whether or not it will look like the example above remains to be seen, of course.

But take a look again. See the shape?

Much like peeps and chocolate bunnies, the best part of this is the order in which you eat it.

HEAD FIRST.

You can totally throw in Highlander references and everything!

Awhile back, in trying to explain the lamb cake and subsequent joy of carving up said beastie, TR's brother had some really great ideas involving fake blood, plastic tubing and hidden pumping mechanisms. I thought it might be a little more subtle (and gross) to work some kind of twizzlers and those crispy straw-shaped cookies into the neck area, or at least some raspberry jam. Or both.

Maybe next year!

This year I'll keep it a little more PG and quietly fell the poor creature away from the eyes of the little ones who will be present.

Tonight is The Kid's first volunteer session at the Humane Society; while she's there I'll be shopping for Easter basket goodies at Cost Plus (where all the good candy lives).

She may be 14, but she still loves the tradition. I hide the basket and everything, and she always shares, so everybody wins!

4 comments:

Dandy said...

It puts the lotion in the basket! Ha! I said that to B this past weekend at the store and he totally didn't get it. Then I tried to do the dance... without the um...tuckage.

So the lamb cake is totally adorable! I'm impressed with the sitting up part and totally want to chop off its head... in the most loving way possible, of course.

I just dyed eggs yesterday at my parents house for them to hide on Easter. I wonder when the notice the one marked FETUS.

curegirl0421 said...

Hah, I said that last night at the grocery store too! The checkout lady snorted. I did not do the Buffalo Bill dance, however, so total props to you.

Fetus ovum FTW!!! I called the kid "spot" until I knew her sex.

You're having a girl, by the way. Just thought you should know. ;)

Heather said...

I followed your link from Cakewrecks and wanted to let you know that lamb cakes are not just from Chicago.I'm from Pittsburgh originally and we had them. Of course, Pittsburgh and Chicago share a lot of the same ethnic neighborhoods so maybe it's not surprising that we share such delicacies as well. My family didn't indulge in lamb cakes though mostly b/c my mother and I abhor coconut.
However they are also a tradition in Belgium and are served at confirmation. They do have spurting "blood" rigged up in them and when the communicant chops off the lamb's head a lovely stream of raspberry sauce squirts forth. Ah good times.

curegirl0421 said...

HAHAHAHA, Oh goodness Heather that is AWESOME.