Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wonder Why Wednesday - Mariposa Mimosa

I am currently hip-deep in a serious crush.

(I know, you're retching out there in reader-land, but I swear I have a point.)

It's a strange sort of situation because unlike the usual swoon-from-afar sort of thing we've all experienced - where there's no hope and you just sort of spy on your intended and (thank you, internet) Google-stalk him and/or lurk on his Facebook page - in this case...

He likes me back.

He's not supposed to like me *back*, right? What exactly am I supposed to do with that?

I feel like a cat who finally caught the fly that's been buzzing around the house for 3 hours solid... Now what the hell do I do with it?!

It's utterly foreign territory.

This (see, I told you there was a point) leads me to my Wonder Why of the day...

Have you ever found yourself in a situation so completely opposite of what you were expecting that you just didn't know whether to (to use the vernacular) shit or go sailing?

We've all been there.

A new job where you aced the interview, but you show up and you're pretty sure they're speaking Gaelic.

A new school where you swore you were going to be the mysterious new kid everyone wants to befriend, but where you find you've shown up halfway through a semester where everyone knows the score but you.

You buy your kid a viola, let's say, and have visions of her becoming the next William Primrose, but find you can barely get her to practice.

We daydream about the little things that make up the larger whole of our lives, but things rarely pan out the way we were expecting. This doesn't mean, of course, that the outcome will be less than awesome, in fact that polar opposite is often to our benefit, but it's so hard sometimes to let go of the carefully tended and tightly-held ideas we've come up with, to adapt and re-start with whatever it is you've been handed.

But you do.

You learn Gaelic (or Unix, whatever) and become the fastest-promoted programmer in the history of the company.

You help a cute guy with his math homework during a group study session, having discovered that you already did the work at your old school, and suddenly find yourself with a date for prom.

Your kid learns to love the viola and plays her best, and gets an A in the class and praise from the teacher, and you couldn't be prouder than if she played Carnegie Hall.

In other words, you suck it up and adapt, and enjoy the adventure!

4 comments:

Dandy said...

I've definitely been there! The gaelic comment was right on!

I sometimes suffer from an overconfidence that things will work out.

Do tell more about the crush. ~taps foot~

And of course he likes you back, you silly woman.

curegirl0421 said...

More on the crush later if and when status is declared and I'm cleared for takeoff hahaha... time will tell, and he knows I have a blog so on the off-chance he starts deciding to read it *today*, to spare myself mortification of the highest order, I will just say that...

He's got red hair and smells good.

Not much, I know.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :) You're a fine, fine woman.

Marisa @ Getting Back To Basics said...

Things always have a way of working out, sometimes in unexpected ways and often for the better. Good luck with the red headed crush.

Elle Bee said...

I say, "go sailing!"