Friday, August 14, 2009

F-Word Friday: Foul-Mouthed

So you know those pants I was making? You know how I was sure the satin would make me cry?

Well it didn't make me cry, but it sure made me use some creative swears... like hair-curling, good-thing-I-was-alone, singed-the-cats-whiskers creative.

There are, as it turns out, a few people reading this 'ere blog on a regular basis, so I won't elaborate. Just trust me when I say they were awful, and I was ashamed...

But I felt better.

No really, there's an article that proves it and everything!

LONDON (Reuters Life!) - Cut your finger? Hurt your leg? Start swearing. It might lessen the pain.

Researchers from the school of psychology at Britain's Keele University have found swearing can make you feel better as it can have a "pain-lessening effect," according to a study published in the journal NeuroReport.

Colleagues Richard Stephens, John Atkins and Andrew Kingston, set out to establish if there was any link between swearing and physical pain.


"Swearing has been around for centuries and is an almost universal human linguistic phenomenon," says Stephens. "It taps into emotional brain centers and appears to arise in the right brain, whereas most language production occurs in the left cerebral hemisphere of the brain. Our research shows one potential reason why swearing developed and why it persists."


YES! Now I have an excuse.

Anyway they're done, and hopefully will be covered in playa dust in short order so nobody will notice how truly awful a sewing job I did.

Luckily there are 2 others done with the pattern, the white ones I bragged about (that was probably the cause of my epic failure with the satin, damned hubris) and the blue batik, and they are FANTASTIC and I want to keep them (I'll have to settle for making myself some soon).

Happy Friday, have a wonderful weekend! I have absolutely no idea what I'll be doing with mine, but I am happy to report that The Child will be home Monday night or Tuesday.

Good thing, I miss that kid.

3 comments:

Dandy said...

Where on Earth do you get all this information from?!

Ruth Covington said...

I can say with first hand experience that while undergoing some barbaric medical procedure that I felt less pain once I started telling the doctors and techs exactly how I felt about what was being done to me. Now, granted, I'm fairly certain it made them feel a tinge of emotional pain (or maybe not, maybe they enjoy torturing scared women,) but at that particular moment in time, I didn't really give a flying [insert appropriate swear word] what they thought. Just sayin'...

Elle Bee said...

Hee hee, interesting study! Can we see pics of said pants? :o)