Monday, February 16, 2009

Weekend Catchup

No, not ketchup, catch-up. Although a weekend full of ketchup would be fun too... Lucille's makes their own and it kicks ass. Next time you're in Colorado, and maybe find yourself over in Boulder somewhere, you should go and have breakfast. It's pricey, but worth it. In fact, let me know if you're going and I'll come with, because I can *always* stand to eat there.

Oh, sorry, inner dialogue...

I spent the weekend doing a whole lot of nothing, which was enjoyable. I watched some movies (Eagle Eye, which was fun, Ghost Town, which was cute, and Merlin's Apprentice, which made no sense), and I made my nephew's birthday present (pictures soon), a knockoff Snuggie (you know those things on the infomercials). His mom said he really really wanted one, so Aunt Mimi provided.

The one that's being marketed is only available in red, blue and light blue, which is boring, and I figured spending $20 plus freight on one of these suckers would make me feel swindled, seeing as how it's not exactly a complex pattern (just a blanket with sleeves). I was able to find a great pattern online (apparently it's also not a *new* pattern, it's just that someone decided to market it - more power to them!). Now I can make my own in colors that don't suck! I'm all for supporting businesses and stuff, but I couldn't do it with this one.

I did make it about a yard shorter than mentioned in the pattern, since the intended recipient is 4. I can see adding that other yard, and maybe even a yard and a half for the tall folks, so it can cover your feet without having to scrunch up under it.

Pictures soon (forgot my camera today), which will include lovingly rendered closeups of the french seams I pulled off, which are glorious.

Two other things:

Thing 1:

Eric Violette (the Free Credit Report Dot Com guy), who is one of my imaginary boyfriends. He speaks French! Thanks for the link, Mom!

Thing 2:

I have really been wanting to make lavender wreaths for awhile now, or at least one for me. I just love the scent of dried lavender, even more so if it's mixed with dried eucalyptus. It reminds me of my grandmother, who I miss. The only lavender I had been finding was at the local craft stores, and it's all falling apart and gross. I thought, hey, maybe there's a place in Colorado! I could grab the kid and take a weekend road trip for lavendery goodness!

Lo and behold.


And it's about 3 miles from my house. How did I not know that was there?! We're so going once they open.

No comments: