Monday, August 2, 2010

Weekend Catchup: Home Sweet Home

There is nothing quite like your own bed.

With the exception of a Marriott bed. Ever slept in one? Oh my goodness. But I digress.

Spending the last week and a half shuttling back and forth, and moreover sleeping elsewhere, really took its toll on me, especially since the dogs are on such a strict schedule, and the cat is a whiny bastard who pees in shoes. (True! I had a little present waiting for me last Wednesday morning. Good thing I wear Crocs.) Friday night was our last night at the other house, and I barely slept! Honestly as much as I love dogs, I think if I ever have any of my own they will have a doggy door, and an afternoon feeding time. I will happily do a weekly poop patrol rather than have to be woken up every morning to let them out. It's like having a baby in the house!

Sunday, after an extended lie-in (I didn't get up until 10:30!), The Kid and I did some house-cleaning and then it was off to drop her at derby practice. I didn't stay this time, but rather headed to the other end of town to view The Only Slightly Inappropriate Bar, which I guess was worse before, but now is just a lot of nudity and pinups... a spicy collage that will be well-received wherever it goes. The bar itself is amazing, tricked out with electrical and everything!

My favorite part...

The picture of Kathy Griffin's head on a naked man's upper body. She would LOVE that!

Also on hand was this incredibly wooden structure, a pyramid-shaped frame from which will swing a lyra hoop, but which Sunday featured a porch swing. It was simple, and really beautiful, and kind of nerve wracking to watch come down at first until the clean design really showed all it had. Gorgeous!

This week is going to be slightly hectic, but not too bad. The Kid is leaving for her overnight Leadership Academy retreat Wednesday afternoon, and although I was going to go back to work (TR being up to his eyeballs in Burning Man prep means he won't be available until the later evening) I think I'll go home and do some sewing. I got a new pattern for tank tops that I'd like to try out, and I want to get my machine all prepped for my next big project...

A kilt!

Sort of!

A real kilt, of course, is a huge undertaking (9 yards of fabric!! NINE!), though the more I see of the how-to's, the more I know my little OCD heart is going to love making one. Even hems! Pleats of precise measurement! Crisp seams and edges! This will have all of that, but I won't have to get all crazy matching plaids. It's more for fun than for regimental perfection.

I'll also be working up something cool with some amusing and soft purple fake fur that I've had forever and bequeathed to TR for Burn purposes - not sure what form it will take just yet, but no doubt I'll be covered in purple furry bits in no time flat! I couldn't resist it - $2 a yard for this stuff was a steal and a half - but the 2 yards I got have been sitting in my closet for about 5 years now. It's time it got used.

Last but not least, here's something weird I found on Vimeo (naturally). It amused me though, and I hope it tickles you too!

Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty from Darragh O'Connell on Vimeo.

Happy Monday... here's hoping for a calm week wherever you are. Somebody should have one!

No comments: