Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Recovering

Missed yesterday, but I have a note from my migraine! Nothing like coming back after a 4-day weekend and being hit by a truck (figuratively speaking).

Thanksgiving was a great break. It was lovely to have my mom in town for it this year, to cook the full meal (and have it be successful), to spend a great weekend. Really what more could I ask?

We were equally successful in surprising my mom with tickets to the Boulder Philharmonic/Boulder Ballet production of The Nutcracker. We had seats I thought might be a little far to see well (though the music was the main point), but as it turns out we loved being able to see more of the scenery than we would have face-on.

Held in CU Boulder's Macky Auditorium, the production was a full one, with all the traditional sets one associates with Nutcrackers past. There were some slightly modernized dresses here and there (which is understandable - nothing like trying to plie in a hoop skirt). The auditorium itself, though, was amazing to see. It was built during the early 1900s, one of the original buildings on the CU Boulder campus. Though I work on campus, I don't get off the farm much and had never been inside.

I think my favorite part was all the wood - it reminded me of churches and buildings of my youth in Chicago. That's not surprising since Macky himself was part of the design process and came from a big city himself, New York. They have a few old buildings there too, so I'm told.


So that was fun! Unfortunately it preceded a trip to the airport in the morning to take my mom home - too soon, and it was a long and boring day since The Kid was at work and I was left to my own devices. Good thing Supernatural is on Netflix. Dean Winchester can make anyone feel better.


No comments: