Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013

Well here we are, another new year.

This year has been hectic, and full of change, but I think essentially good. Any year where I only have to watch the news and not be in it is a pretty good year, but besides that perspective-level assessment it really has been good.

I've had my ups and downs (so say we all), but the downs have turned around and that's what counts.

I've thought too much about things that didn't matter, but more importantly I've given more thought to the things that do. My revelation a couple of months back has really set me right - I do not regret my decision to stop my schooling after the initial push toward an associate's degree. I also don't regret (though I'm still working on implementation) my determination to be more selfish. So far I haven't done much in that capacity except to be more frank with TR about my feeeeeeelings. I hate talking about them, and so does he (about his, not mine - he's infinitely willing to let me vent), but sometimes it must be done. I'm not great at it, and I seem to have a knack for doing it at 1:30 in the morning so I'm good and tired (thus weepy and incoherent).

I'm so grateful for his patient nature. I truly love that man.

I'm equally grateful that my darling daughter (who is 17 in less than a month what the literal fuck) is willing to listen, though I do try not to burden her too much with human-Mimi stuff that is not standard mother-daughter stuff.

I made some new friends this year and strengthened some budding relationships.

I also let two very old friendships go, and it was not as hard as I thought it would be. I'm still open to those fine women if they ever decide they're ready to have me around again, it was not a bitter thing, but I've accepted that I'm not really part of their lives anymore. It's okay! And not in a martyr-y sort of way!

Day one of my new year determined to eat better was not that great, but day two was much better. Organic banana, organic granola bar, non-fat chai for breakfast, and organic soup and an apple for lunch. Dinner may be leftovers, but they will include fruit and veggies.

And I used my mixer to great success...home-made pizza and cinnamon rolls.


The year is off to a good start.